Drawbridge: History & Virtual Tour
Learn about the history of the Bay Area's very own ghost town, Drawbridge!
Join Ceal Craig, PhD, 20-year volunteer for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, for a unique opportunity to dive into the history of Drawbridge, a 'ghost town' that once housed a thriving community on an island along the South San Francisco Bay.
The presentation will take place via Zoom and will be just over one hour, with time for questions and discussion from participants.
Please register via Eventbrite here: https://drawbridgewinter2023.eventbrite.com/
A direct link to the program will be provided via email after registration.
This program is brought to you by the San Francisco Bay Wildlife Society (SFBWS) and the Santa Clara Valley Urban Runoff Pollution Prevention Program (SCVURPPP). http://www.mywatershedwatch.org/
Questions?: Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
A book on Drawbridge, California, Sinking Underwater: A Ghost Town's Amazing Legacy written by Anita Goldwasser and Cecilia D. Craig, Ph. D. and published by the San Francisco Bay Wildlife Society, is now available for purchase.
Anita Goldwasser is a writer who explored the once-vibrant ghost town of Drawbridge in the San Francisco Bay Area and photographed its buildings more than 30 years ago—before most of them sank into the marsh or succumbed to fire.
Cecilia (Ceal) Craig is a long-time member of the San Francisco Bay Wildlife Society and volunteer tour guide for Drawbridge.
You can buy the book in person at our Nature Stores at the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge. You can also have us mail you a copy by sending us a check or making an online payment.
All proceeds from the book sale benefit the San Francisco Bay Wildlife Society.
Click here to purchase the book.
- A Short History of Drawbridge
- A Chronological History of Drawbridge
- A Visual History of Drawbridge
- Drawbridge: History, the People, and its Future (PDF 9 MB) | Ceal Craig
- Drawbridge, CA Re-turning the Tide (PDF 1 MB) | US Fish and Wildlife
- Drawbridge: A Ghost Town Revisited (PDF 614 KB) | John Steiner
- Drawbridge Binder from EEC (PDF 5 MB)
- Drawbridge, CA featured in the Milpitas Post 8/24/2012 | Aug 24, 2012 | (PDF 3 MB)
- Musings on Drawbridge by Brenna Silbory | May 17, 2014
- Bay Area artist Donald Neff paints Drawbridge in plein air | Sep 7, 2014
- Podcast by Bay Curious narrates the history of Drawbridge | Jul 20, 2017
- Drawbridge, CA featured in the Mercury News 7/17/2018 | Jul 17, 2018
- Drawbridge book Sinking Underwater: A Ghost Town's Amazing Legacy by Anita Goldwasser and Cecilia D. Craig, Ph. D., now available for purchase | Jul 24, 2018